CANAAN COMMUNITY CHURCH
CANAAN COMMUNITY CHURCH'S RESPONSE TO COVID-19
CANAAN COMMUNITY CHURCH'S RESPONSE TO COVID-19
We are canceling all in person gatherings until further notice. It is irresponsible to continue to gather now that we know people can be carriers of the virus and have no symptoms. However, we are still called to carry a message of hope and mobilization (tangible ways people can be the church in their corner of the city or the world) We have created ways for us to gather our entire church together and in small groups virtually. In order to be clear that, while things are changing around us, nothing has changed for us a congregation our plan will be enacted through our mission which states that we are: A Community of people committed to SHARING God's love, SHOWING God's love and being SHAPED by God's love.
SHARE LOVE- Sharing only factual information and spreading PEACE rather than PANIC.
- We are providing links on our website, Social Media Pages, emails and on the physical doors of our church to the CDC and other professional health sites.
- We are sending out notifications and updates by phone, snail mail, email and social media.
- We are meeting with local elected officials to acquire and disseminate factual information about Chicago & Illinois restrictions due to COVID-19
- We are listening carefully to reputable federal officials for the National restrictions due to COVID-19
- We are also sharing information and resources that can support our congregation and community spiritually, mentally, physically and financially during this time.
SHOW LOVE- Showing tangible ways we can care for our congregation and community
- Grocery/Prescription pick-up for seniors We are providing grocery and prescription pick-up and drop-off services for seniors 60 and over who are among the most vulnerable citizens in our congregation and community.
- 5 Loaves Co-Op and Distribution Center We are continuing our 5 Loaves Food Cooperative which meets weekly and allows community residents to shop for $1 for fresh produce and other grocery staples. We are also partnering with IMAN (Inner City Muslim Action Network) and RAGE (Resident Association of Greater Englewood) to be a distribution center for water and other non-perishable food items we don't typically have out our Co-op. Items will be picked up in grab and go format outside of the building (weather permitting) on the Paulina side on Mondays at 5:30 pm.
- COVID-19 Financial Assistance An individual wishing to remain anonymous has offered to help out members of Canaan who are experiencing financial difficulty as a result of job loss or other work interruption caused by COVID-19. For more information please contact Pastah J, First Lady Sheal or Deacon Mark for more information.
BE SHAPED BY LOVE- Being Shaped by the Various ways we stay connected and participate in discipleship activities even when we are unable to gather physically.
- Sunday Morning Experience Worship We will stream Sunday morning services at 11 am via Facebook live and the Zoom video and telephone platform at least until April 5, 2020. Detailed information for how to connect is listed just below our response plan on this page. You can also call the church (773) 925-0185 if you need assistance with accessing the technology. Doors to the physical church building will be closed but posted on them will be all of the resources and information listed on this page.
- Sunday School We will have Sunday School beginning at 10am on Sunday mornings using the Zoom video and telephone platform. This information will be shared by email and you can contact Minister Angeline for more information.
- Daily prayer calls and devotionals Every morning M-F at 6am we will connect via phone conference to pray together and to read our devotional message from "Bread for the Resistance" by Donna Barber together. Please continue our Love Feast by reading our devotional, studying scripture, fasting and praying daily. Remember we are fasting physically but we are feasting spiritually!
- Small Groups We will connect via online gatherings in order to study the scriptures, pray for one another and discuss the Sunday messages we have heard from Pastah J. Small group hosts will contact individuals who participated in their group during the Church Forsaken Study Series to coordinate a day and time to meet. You can contact Minister Cheryl Benson for more information.
- Electronic Giving We are asking all members to continue to give consistently during this time. We are not only using our resources for our congregation but also for our neighbors in our community. We are already setup to give online all you have to do is click here If you have a PayPal account you are also able to give directly by sending your donation to [email protected] If you give electronically we also ask that you send an email to [email protected] with your name, amount and designation of your gift. You are also still able to mail your gifts to Canaan Community Church 1701 W. Garfield Blvd. Chicago, IL 60636 (please do not mail cash)
CALL-IN or VIDEO INFORMATION FOR 11am SUNDAY MORNING WORSHIP EXPERIENCE
Join Zoom Meeting (If you would like to connect through video either click this link from your computer or download the zoom app on your phone and then click the link)
Meeting ID: 317 931 2552
One tap mobile (If you are looking at this on your cell phone and live in the Chicago area just tap the numbers and you will be automatically connected)
+13126266799,,3179312552# US (Chicago)
Dial by your location (Use one of the below phone numbers if you are calling in from a cell phone or land line then when asked type in the Meeting ID followed by the # sign.)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 253 215 8782 US
+1 301 715 8592 US
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 317 931 2552
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aeGf5KZmZz
Facebook Live: If you are on Facebook you can also stream the service live by just following our page, Canaan Community Church.
RESOURCES FOR MAINTAINING DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC
A MESSAGE FROM THE CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION
What are God's People to Do in Times Like These?
These past few weeks have been challenging as we have dealt with the reality of what is required to prevent a devastating COVID-19 outbreak in our country. What does Christian courage look like in these challenging times? How do we help ensure that the most vulnerable in our communities are protected and have access to resources? These and other questions are ones we must face as individuals, as CCDA organizations, and as communities.
With this unprecedented pandemic, we have an unprecedented opportunity. The Church, and we as CCDA, can be people of courage, steadiness, hope, sacrifice, generosity and relentless care for the poor. In the midst of fear, we remain rooted in the truth that God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7). Operating from this power, love and sound mind we take the opportunity to manifest the grace, justice and mercy of the Kingdom of God.
Practical ways to live faithfully into this opportunity are to practice good preventive measures. Seek and share only accurate information from reputable health organizations and stay up to date and follow the guidelines of your local health agencies. In these times of “social distancing”, find creative ways to reach out, stay connected, and build community to combat loneliness and isolation. Finally, advocate for legislation on federal, state and local levels that ensures justice.
As CCDA practitioners who work in communities among some of the most vulnerable during this COVID-19 crisis, we wanted to do a community check-in to see how you, your community, and our association are doing. Let us know if there are ways we can support, resource, encourage or give you a platform in this season. Our National team is very familiar with working remotely, especially in empowering our communities and leaders through virtual spaces.
Here you will find a Google form to indicate how you are doing, ways we could support/resource you and ways you'd like to potentially use our national platform. Please fill it out and we will follow up with you as necessary. Also, feel free to upload social media posts, songs, art, worship, videos, etc. that could serve as a comfort to our association at this time and tag @iamccda. We will be sharing these resources on social media throughout the coming weeks, and forming blog posts to make sure everyone can access the information they're looking for.
Finally, here is the link to our Community Check-In forum page. Please share what you are doing to help the needs of your community and post questions regarding situations you are navigating and would like input on from our association. Our hope is to create virtual space so that those who are looking for community through CCDA will feel an active and caring presence!
Thank you for the ways you are committed to wholistically restoring communities. COVID-19 presents another challenge to us, but we can persevere and stay resilient, knowing that our God will see us through.
We affirm that this requires differing responses that are determined by your varying contexts. We encourage a steadfast, creative and contextual commitment to the most vulnerable. CCDA will monitor the situation, take precautions, and keep our association informed about future trainings and other activities. We must also pray for each other, pray for those left out, pray for wisdom, and pray to overcome fear with action. Being rooted in faith, may we live out God’s love, generosity and justice as we face this crisis opportunity with hope!