CANAAN COMMUNITY CHURCH
Recent Blog Entries
WHAT WE BELIEVE & WHY?
WHAT WE BELIEVE & WHY?
You're probably wondering what is different about our church, what would make you choose us over the many others in our community.
First of all, nothing at Canaan is traditional! However, everything we believe and practice in our services is Biblical. There is a big difference. The "church" has gotten the two a little mixed up. Jesus was not a traditional guy! As a matter of fact, he was constantly in conflict with the religious leaders of His day because He kept challenging them. They tried to look "all good" on the outside, but on the inside they were "rotten". Jesus is not so concerned with how we look on the outside, or how we dress when we come to His house, (they didn't have suits and ties in His day), as long as it's modest. He's not concerned about the music we play, or the style we choose to worship Him with, as long as the lyrics are clean and glorify Him. Jesus wants our hearts to be pure!
THE ESSENTIALS WE BELIEVE
1. About God: God is the creator and ruler of the universe. He has eternally existed in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are co-equal and are one God. // Genesis 1:1, 26-27, 3:22 / Psalm 90:2 / Matthew 28:19 / Corinthians 13:14
2. About Jesus Christ: Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is co-equal with the father. Jesus lived a sinless human life and offered himself as the perfect sacrifice for all people by dying on the cross. He arose from the dead after three days to demonstrate His power over sin and death. He ascended to heaven's glory and will return again someday to reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. // Matthew 1:22-23 / Isaiah 9:6 / John 1:1-5, 14:10-30 / Hebrews 4:14-15 / 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 / Acts 1:9-11 /
1 Timothy 6:14-15 / Titus 2:13
3. About the Holy Spirit: The Holy Spirit is co-equal with the Father and Son. He is present in the world to make men aware of their need for Jesus Christ. He also lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation. He provides the Christian with power for living, understanding of spiritual truth, and guidance in doing what is right. He gives every believer a spiritual gift when they are saved. As Christians, we seek to live under his control daily. // 2 Corinthians 3:17 / John 16:7-13, 14:16-17 / Acts 1:8 /
1 Corinthians 2:12,3:16 / Ephesians 1:13 / Acts 2:4
4. About the Bible: The Bible is God's Word to us. It was written by human authors, under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of all truth for all Christian beliefs and living. Because it is inspired by God, it is the truth without any mixture of error. // 2 Timothy 1:13, 3:16 / 2 Peter 1:20,21 / Psalm 119:105
5. About Human Beings: People are made in the spiritual image of God, to be like Him in character. People are the supreme objects of God's creation. Although every person has a great potential for good, all of us are marred by an attitude of disobedience toward God called "sin". This sin nature (attitude) separates people from God and is the root cause of many of the problems of life. // Genesis 1:27 / Psalm 8:3-6 /
Isaiah 53:6 / Romans 3:23
6. About Salvation: "Salvation" is God's free gift to us, but we must accept it. We can never make up for our sins through self - improvement or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God's offer for forgiveness can any one be saved from sin's penalty. When we turn from our self-willed lives and turn to Christ in faith, we are saved. Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into their life by faith. //
Romans 6:23 / Ephesians 3:8,9 / John 14:6, 1:12 / Titus 3:5 / Galatians 3:26 / Romans 5:1
7. About Eternity: The soul and body of every human being was created to live forever. We will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or eternally with God through salvation and forgiveness. Hell is eternal separation from God. Heaven is eternal union with God. Heaven and Hell are real places of eternal existence. // John 3:16, 2:25, 5:11-13 / Romans 6:23 / Revelation 20:15 / Matthew 1:8, 2:44-46
In the essential beliefs, we have unity.
"There is one body and one spirit... there is one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and one God and Father of us all..." // Ephesians 4:4-6
In the non-essential beliefs, we have liberty.
"Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls... so then each of us will give an account of himself to God... so whatever you believe about these things, keep them between yourself and God." // Romans 14:1,4,12,22
Love is the greatest commandment.
"...If I hold in my mind not only all human knowledge but also the very secrets of God, and if I have faith that can move mountains - but have no love, I amount to nothing at all."// 1 Corinthians 13:2
Canaan Community Church is a non-denominational, Christian Church that fully believes the Bible and teaches it in context. Our Pastors are seminary educated and are ordained Ministers under the laws of the State of Illinois. Canaan is affiliated with the Christian Community Development Association founded by Dr. John Perkins of The Perkins Foundation and Pastor Wayne Gordon of Lawndale Community Church. Canaan also partners with many community organizations both Christian and Secular to bring forth change in our society.